Monday 6 July 2015

7th July - Doom Island again - Papua

Tuesday 7th July 2015

I had planned NOT to have a 2XS Party Day yesterday…

So when a tribe of boys, big and small, descended on the boat, while Pete was still gently snoozing downstairs, I said, quite firmly, “Tidak,” and waved them away.  Tidak means NO but…apparently it doesn’t REALLY mean no… Or not the way I say it…

So I gave up and stayed inside, working on my blog and drinking cups of tea while the boys wandered around the deck, happily beaming whenever I glanced their way, which I tried not to do very often… Eventually most of them left, and I relented and made popcorn for the die-hards, and gave them the magazines to read.  They were very happy with this.

Soon…of course…there were more.  Janus we already knew, and along with him came a contingent of family.  I told them photos were over, that I had run out of ink, and they were sad but philosophical. 


Janus is very keen to learn English – he is a most diligent student, although he says English is SO hard.  It is the most unpopular subject at his school.  He says his fellow students groan in despair when it is time for English lessons, and the classroom is often empty.  Mind you his English teacher sounds very strict and unpleasant and is always tell Janus he is stupid and not doing well at all.

He had all sorts of questions for me.  Could I please define although? And What is the difference between ‘would’, ‘should’, and ‘ought to’?

This all made my head throb a bit but I did my best.

In the meantime, the other less diligent ones were happily reading the magazines, and dancing to the music.  The girls knew all the words to the Katy Perry songs, but had never heard of Madonna, to my surprise.  But Michael Jackson – YES!  Big success!  Janus sat sadly as the others sang along. He said that he had been taught in Bible Study class that Michael Jackson is now in hell, and that we might all might go to hell if we listened to the songs.  His sister, Tresya, on the other hand, was oblivious to this bit of news and sat singing Billie Jean with quiet conviction.


I enjoyed the company of these beautiful teenagers very much – of course I did!  So delightful, so full of life! 

But…it is actually very tiring, having so many visitors.  Pete sits inside, working on his computer, ignoring them all.  So of course he is the one they all yearn for, and want to be photographed with…I told him he is Kemo Sabe and…I am Tonto… Beautiful Bacyana danced in the doorway, flashing her dazzling smile at him, while he typed away, oblivious…



Surprise to say, the most popular features in the magazines are any animal pictures, and…underwear advertisements, very favoured by…The Boys!  And the most popular person – Judi Dench!  They all recognise and love her because…she is M in James Bond movies!

Eventually…I told them all I had to go for a swim.  Surely not ALONE, said the girls.  We will come with you!  I said I would make sure to hati hati (be careful) all by myself and off I went, with a flash of my flippers…they are younger fitter stronger but…without flippers they could not keep up!!

Ahh well…they came back, of course.  More popcorn, and a Bob Marley festival.  They all knew ALL the words and even Captain Pete came away from his computer for a few minutes to sing No Woman No Cry with them.

The prize for Best Boat of the Day went to…Kristian!  He operated an efficient little ferry service to and from 2XS, for those who weren’t wanting another swim…



SV Four Friends still needs our generator – the fuel men didn’t come yesterday, as promised. So we can’t leave just yet.  But…all is well, we are happy here. If exhausted!

No comments:

Post a Comment