Friday 9 January 2015

10th January - chilly times in Bicheno

Saturday 10th January


 It is quite chilly in Bicheno.

Late afternoon (Leo)
Nevertheless our children are swimming – fully clad in thick wetsuits as they hunt the waves on their bodyboards.

Everyone is happy.  


We are true Tasmanians!  (Nevertheless I am so glad I brought my big silver puffer jacket and my uggboots…)

The seal is still on the rocks.  She seems to be turning an interesting, un-mammalian, shade of green.


The squid are running and the jetty is heaving with fishing rods.  We spent a bit of time in evening watching the squid skitter past the many tempting lures.  Not a bite…but never mind.  Fishing is very much about process rather than product, I think.

Hamish and Angus watching the squid pass on by

1 comment:

  1. Tasmanians are, I think, quite unusual in their attitude towards the weather. No matter what, we remain optimistic and enthusiastic. We swim in the cold, we hike in the wind, rain and sleet and we kick back and enjoy the sunshine when it comes. In fact, I have been known to be very defensive when anyone dares complain about the weather in Tasmania. "Well it was just fabulous on Saturday/last week/last summer!" I'll say. "You should have been here then." In today's paper the curator of one of the MONA exhibitions made a comment about our choice to live 42degrees south, suggesting that this is the price we pay but it's worth it. Bad weather certainly didn't keep the crowds away there. Good on us, I say! Having said all of that, I am quite keen to get a bit more beach time in before I go back to work.

    ReplyDelete