Thursday 2 May 2013

3rd May - accolades to Katy and Jeff - absentmindedness - air refill


Friday 3rd May

Accolades again.  This time to Katy and Jeff, my illustrious daughter and son-in-law. 



No!  Not a baby #5!!  But a wonderful job!  They will be teaching a course at Tas Uni, in the Education Faculty, on Behaviour Management.  They will have five classes between them, three hours per week for each class, with one class on-line, so they can very happily and compatibly job share.  As well as this...they can continue to job share the spawn…and to practice what they preach!

Sometimes I feel very sorry for Pete, having me as his main crew and travelling companion.  Not that I am bad company; I do know that I am optimistic, fun, and kind.  All three of these qualities come in handy, at times.  But…I am very absent-minded.  He must sometimes wonder if I am getting some sort of ghastly early-onset syndrome.  (For example, I find it almost impossible to remember how to plug in the fridge, when we get to a marina, with power provided…)  But…no.  I was ever thus…

I could get testimonials (if you could call them that…) from my parents, my children, people (well, person…) to whom I have been married, and, more specifically, people for and with whom I have worked.  I just vague out and…forget things, or do things wrongly.  My first memory of this distressing personality trait is when I was about seven.  Mum had entrusted me with an important task: go up to the village shop, and buy a dozen eggs.  And bring them back in this handy string bag… Oh deary me… I was very pleased with myself and wandered back down the road, singing gently to myself, and swinging the bag round and round and up and down… I had no idea why Mum was so upset when I arrived with a bag dripping with yolks, whites, shells…How could this have happened???

When I was living in my own little house in 2002, with my hyper-critical son Michael, who was then about 24, I was bewailing the fact that I had done something conspicuously forgetful at work.  “They will think I am CRAP,” I said, sadly.  He hugged me (he does love me…) and said, kindly, “but Ma, you are a bit crap; surely you know this??”

So far Pete hasn’t flung me into the sea, or even done much more than look at me, with a look of deep disappointment, muttering and cursing a bit darkly, which is to his credit…And to my credit – sometimes I get things right!!!

Michael is at present in Tasmania, saying goodbye to The Family before his overseas posting.  Katy rang me to say all four of her children were outside, ecstatically chasing after Michael, and shouting Uncle Uncle!  They love him so much…we all do…



This morning we took the marina courtesy car* into Cairns, in search of a place to check, stamp and re-fill Pete’s air tank, for diving.  A merry little trip we and of it… The environs of Cairns are very pretty, so we enjoyed the scenery, but we had SUCH a hard time finding the right place.  “It’s right on the corner!  Cairns Scuba Air Safety Equipment!  You won’t miss it!!”  But…miss it we did until finally there it was, not really on a corner, and very timidly hiding behind obscure initials and lettering.  



The bloke there was very competent and professional and took charge of his mission, to get the diving equipment on 2XS all safe and checked, so we were very relieved. 

* And what a nice service this is!  We have had courtesy cars before, in marinas, but not very often.  No charge at all, just a donation of $10 or so to cover fuel, costs.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely to see the photos of the family and to find out about Katy's and Jeff's job. Such stars! Have to say I identify with your comments about vagueness. The entire Calver family which consists of engineers, geologists and teachers, so pretty responsible really, is absent minded and nothing terrible has ever happened but it is EMBARASSING, every now and then.

    ReplyDelete