Saturday 11 May 2013

12th May - Mothers Day #2 - antimould - rally preparations sourdough


Sunday 12th May

And so today really IS Sunday…

It really IS Mothers Day…

I only realised this because I rang my own mother last night to ask how her day had been. She was very polite, of course, but she did tell me, very gently, that Mothers Day was ACTUALLY…the next day…

Today…

Cough…ahem…cough…

Happy Mothers Day to all the lovely:

mothers
stepmothers
grandmothers
greatgrandmothers
stepgreatgrandmothers

Again…

Yesterday I bustled about de-moulding ceilings and walls on 2XS.  A little bit difficult, but very satisfying.  Pete came back from his shower to find me in my underwear, sort of upside down above the helm in the window area, in a very awkward pose.  He found it all very fascinating so I had to scramble back down to regain some sort of dignity.

No photos exist of this moment.

Fortunately…

(Why underwear?  Well I have had some very bad experiences with anti-mould, or bleach of any sort.  It has ruined some of my very favourite clothes, so I prefer to do this sort of task in my least public items of clothing.  Underwear steps up!!)

We spent quite a few eye-popping hours today with our new friends Barbara and Tim Moncrieff, from Hawley Beach (Tas.)  They have been sailing around Asia for the past SIX years.  They have done the Indonesian Rally, also the Malaysian Rally, and have been to India, the Philippines, Borneo…They are both very enthusiastic and FULL of helpful information.  And scary tales!!



This afternoon Barbara, who has very bright blue eyes, fixed me with an intense gaze and said, NEVER swim at Flinders Island!  Why ever not??  HUGE and fearsome crocodiles!!  Oh OK yet again…so many duplicate/triplicate names in Australia…So our own beautiful southerly Flinders Island is quite safe from huge and fearsome crocs…

While Pete was having a second session, this time on Tim and Barbara’s converted fishing boat, Rubicon Star, I ventured off towards Smithfield Shopping Hellmouth (oh OK; it is a perfectly nice shopping mall!!) to buy dinner ingredients, and things for our lunch tomorrow – our Cairns Friends, Bill, John and Rosemary are coming at 12.30.

The bus comes, faithfully, every hour, but I managed to miss the 2.16 one by a mere whisker of breath.  Never mind…not too far to Smithfield…so off I went, happily listening to my little Sony radio through my dear little earplugs.  Lalalala.  For miles and MILES!!  I had underestimated just a tad… Fortunately it was not too hot, and every now and then I would get nicely drenched with a cooling shower, so all was well, and it only took about 50 minutes.  All ticketyboo, really.

I took a photo of a pretty flower along the way.



Lalalala

This shopping centre is HUGE so it was another kilometer or so from one end to the other to get to Woolworths so I could get stickers for my grandchildren’s’ primary schools – I am sure this shopping session netted them at least 5 cents towards some fabulous new sporting equipment.

Lalalala

I filled my backpack and my New York Library carrybag with heavy HEAVY chickens and veggies and fruit then managed to heave myself onto the next bus, 111 – Trinity Park.  It’s not very far from the bus stop to the marina.

If the driver lets you off the bus…

Sadly I had hit upon the one and only horrible bus driver in Cairns.  All of the others we have come across have been super obliging and helpful.  Not this one!  He said I hadn’t let him know in time so he couldn’t POSSIBLY stop at my stop. Or the next or the next or the next…He just kept on driving…for another two kilometers…It took me twenty minutes, with my very heavy load, to get back to where I should have been allowed to disembark.  I was quite crushed - not at the physical exertion; this won’t have hurt me, I need a bit of weight –bearing exercise - but at the unkindness.

I unpacked all my stuff and found Pete on Rubicon Star, having pre-dinner drinks with Tim and Barbara, and being filled with enthusiasm for our new adventure.

So…all is well!!

Oh not totally…Pete is quite crushed by his latest attempt to make sourdough bread…He has taken this on as a BIG project.  With a bit of luck and good management I have somehow managed not to get involved in any of this…All I do is make soothing humming sounds…and clear up the sticky mess…

Tonight the sticky mess involved two yuckerella teatowels, a few plastic bowls, and my new pizza stone now transformed into TWO pizza stones…Pete is quite disheartened.  I am not sure what is happening in the oven but I suspect…not a good thing…good thing I bought some nifty little rolls from Smithfield Hellmouth!!

No comments:

Post a Comment