Saturday 18 June 2016

19th June 2016 - rainy day in Waisai - Gala Dinner at Waigeo Villa

Sunday 19th June 2016

So god that our fabulous rally excursion was yesterday, when the weather was perfect – calm, still, not too sunny.  Today it is pouring!  This of course gladdens my heart and inspires me to remove all of the bedding and wash it, with great enthusiasm. 



Not so sure any of it is going to dry anytime soon…


A dear little boy called...Brian, at the restaurant we went to on Thursday night
There may have been something in my tone yesterday to indicate that I wasn’t really looking  forward to the Gala Dinner…that I would in fact have preferred to lie on the couch gently snoozing, book in hand…

Mistake!  It was fabulous!



We had quite a long speech from the local bupati, in Indonesian I think…translated by the senior tourism officer.  Dave from Soggy Paws USA made a pleasant speech; we all introduced ourselves, boat by boat – I am sure none of the local people could understand a word but never mind.  Then all the yachties got up and sang We Are Sailing, while Greg (SV Verite) accompanied us on the guitar, to the delight, one supposes of the crowd.



And then there was dancing, and singing!  Fabulous!  All very authentic…although I did notice the band members were very keen to get back into their jeans and t-shirts as soon as they had finished their performance.  At the end, our tourist man said we would all be required to get up and “shake our bodies.”  I was asked onto the floor by a lovely boy, who gently counted out the moves for me, One Two Three, kick kick, etc.  I had to concentrate but – yes, it was FUN! 


Final activity – presents for all of the boats!  And what a fabulous present – the most glorious big fat book about Raja Ampat which is nearly all photos of fish, and some photos of birds. 


We were taken back to the marina in a bus and a car, and I was able to collapse, at last, with my book and a big glass of water.

Very happy with our wonderful RallyDay!


Tomorrow we are leaving Waisai, going to Sorong to check in with Immigration, Customs etc.  And to go to the supermarket…we are nearly out of cheese and butter, which is potentially a bit tragic!

From the book - a pygmy seahorse, about 2cm long!  be still my beating heart...

1 comment:

  1. Hope you get to see the Pygmy seahorse up close and personal.What a great gift to highlight their underwater world. Good idea for Tourism Tas.

    ReplyDelete