Friday 6 March 2015

6th March - memorial service - marquee emergency - farm wedding

Friday 6th March 2015

I feel a bit like a Bob Dylan song, or maybe Judy Collins.  Circles, cycles, seasons…weddings, funerals…

My father in his prime
Yesterday was my father’s funeral.  No not funeral – memorial service!  You can’t have a funeral without a body, and his body, he would have been most gratified to hear, has been accepted by the university for the teaching program.

So instead of a coffin we had a photo, his ancient Dutch clogs, and some beautiful flowers…


My brothers and I managed to get through our allotted roles; we had light refreshments and convivial chat, and then a bit of a party at Pete and Andrea’s house.

Dad's offering on a more auspicious day… (Pete, Marguerite, Chris)
Dad would have been gratified, I am sure, by the turnout.  Close to 200 people, all of them full of admiration, respect and love.

Many people went out of their way.  Our friend Diane flew back from Melbourne several days early, at great inconvenience.


Kay, a very recent widow herself, flew in just for the afternoon, from Melbourne.


I had many friends there, and…many sisters!  My own sisters, Monique and Jacqui, 

Monique and jacqui
plus my lovely brother-in-law of many years, William, from Launceston (not my father’s daughters, but part of the Harmsen Mafia by extension nonetheless.)  My 
wonderful sisters-in-law, Andrea and Karen.

WINNERS!
Pete’s kind and supportive sisters, Lynne and Angela.

Angela and Lynne 
Dad would have been delighted to have all of these women surrounding him, and us.

I won’t dwell on the sadness…Dad would have been very cross indeed to think of any of us being sad.

Late in the afternoon…Pete came to find me, asking, a bit hesitantly, if I was OK to drive.  Well yes…three glasses of sparkling wine after a lengthy day, sure I could drive.  Where to?  Well…to the farm, between Hamilton and Ouse…about an hour and a half away… The marquee had already fallen over, just a bit, and we had to be there to keep an eye on it during a very stormy, windy night.


Pete’s son James has been setting up the farm for his wedding tomorrow.  It will be a glorious and auspicious occasion…if the weather behaves with due decorum…

How is it looking, weather-wise???
James and Bron have put in such a lot of thought, effort and work into this weekend; the least we could do was to camp in a dear little caravan and be ready to rescue the marquee…


We have been working here all afternoon as well, setting up the tables and portaloos.  Pete has been digging and lifting, heaving and ho-ing, while my jobs have involved blue sashes for the chairs


Big paper pompoms




And flowers  oh so pretty, and oh what fun!  Tomorrow we will complete the flower arrangements and we will be at the ready for all of the last-minute jobs yet to be revealed…


Dad would have been so amused, to hear all of these stories, of us rushing around the countryside, getting changed from FuneralFinery to FarmShabbiness, celebrating happy family events, trying to solve what seem to be unresolvable problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment