Friday 26 September 2014

27th September - hunting for tarpaulins in Coron (Busuanga, Philippines)


Saturday 27th September


Yesterday we went on a Tarpaulin Hunt.  I remembered, on our first triketrip, that we had gone past a small shop with a sign saying TARPAULINS, amongst other useful things.  I imagined that maybe they were made there.  We had in fact found beautiful thick white tarps in a big hardware store; what we needed was extra eyelets along the sides.  Big fat strong ones, to prevent the big fat strong wind from ripping them to shreds.




Our trike of the day was called Ashyln & Camille 4, and our wiling, helpful driver was Israel.  He faithfully tootled us up and down the main road while I feverishly peered out at the many little humpy-shops, while Pete watched with a jaundiced eye.  (He didn’t think I knew quite where I had seen the tarpaulin sign…)  But – sigh of relief – I found it.  And it turned out to be a gift shop…And what they commonly called tarpaulins here are in fact big plastic posters, printed with slogans, advertisements etc.


Storm clouds and rain storms all day in Coron
Poor Israel was totally confused by his mad old Australian customers.  He kept suggesting other options.  Hot springs?  Island hopping??  But the caught on to the fact that we were going to go to every single hardware store in Coron.  (There are, I can tell you, EIGHT!)  He even took us to a new one down a dirt track, which nobody knows about.  Everyone was very kind and helpful but…No have, sir.  Pete did mange to buy two big tarps, perfect for the purpose, and we will have to work out some other way to get extra strong eyelets.

I am less enthusiastic about hardware stores than Pete.  But I had fun, chatting with Israel, and occasionally espying beautiful girls, ready for a dancing concert, and very happy for a photo shoot.



In the little laneway leading to Seadive, and the jetty where we keep the dinghy, there is always a small posse of small kiddiewinks.  They are very cute, and very cheeky.  And NOT very old at all.  A few days ago I was waiting for Pete at the corner, and idly watching the children.  They looked extra cheeky, and I noticed a man standing outside the little shop.  He seemed a bit agitated so I looked to see what was up.  The kiddiewinks had mugged him and taken his lit cigarette.  While we both watched, in various degrees of horror, they rushed down the laneway, happily puffing and handing it from one to the other.  These children are about THREE years old!!  No I didn’t intervene, and they vanished (in a puff of smoke…) into one of their houses, giggling wickedly.


When I told Pete he wasn’t quite as appalled, and told me that he probably started smoking at about the same age.  (I do NOT believe him!!)

The other end of the rainbow (dimly seen...)

No comments:

Post a Comment