Tuesday 23 September 2014

23rd September - Coron (Philippines) - three dives - Tangat - Barracuda Lake - Olympia Maru


Tuesday 23rd September

8am

Today we are going diving.  THREE dives!  This is part of Pete’s birthday present to me.  This area, they tell us, is the 8th best diving region in the world.  Many World War II wrecks, which always make for interesting diving, and crystal clear water.  I am looking forward to having a trip on one of the local boats, after all this time watching them powerfully driving all around 2XS, with their big strong bamboo outriggers.

Yesterday we had another brief tricycle ride, in a trike called CLARK.  Clark’s driver was a pleasant and obliging bloke.  He took us to the hardware store, and waited patiently while Pete bought a tarpaulin which was startlingly expensive – and NOTHING is expensive in the Philippines!  We have yet to examine it to see if it is really worth its weight in gold… (Clark's tricycle fare was very reasonable...)




We have now met the very handsome Moses, son of Princess Diana, grandson of Dolores.  He is strong, fit and confident and I am not sure why his small friend is sobbing…



5.30pm

And yes we did three fabulous dives.  We are now totally exhausted and slightly wobbly…

Our first stop was not far away, off glorious Coron Island – the island of fabulous cliffs. 

Just behind this handsome man, Tobias (aka Toby, from Albuquerque, New Mexico,) there are jaggedy rock formations.  


Tobias
We had to walk up about 20 metes of wooden steps, and then down again, to…a glorious freshwater lake.  Carrying our diving gear on our backs…

Well this would not do for Princess Marguerite…I couldn’t even stand up with my BCB and oxygen tank and weight belt, let alone walk up and down the rickety wooden steps.  So our other lovely dive master (yes we had TWO just for the TWO of us) Josh, as lean as can be, carried his equipment on his back and mine under his arm, as easy as pie.  I was VERY grateful.


Josh
And the lake?  Well not much fish to see, just a few tiddlers.  But – extraordinary – this Barracuda (we didn’t see any but they are there) Lake is fresh water on top and sea water on the bottom, with a huge difference in temperature.  The salt water sinks to the bottom and is fearfully warm.  They said we only got down to the 34 degree layer but I felt as if I was about to be boiled alive and was very happy to come back up to the more temperate fresh level.

Josh gathered up some small shells and smashed them with a bit of coral when we got back to the rock face.  And then – oh joy – I was able to feed darling little brown catfish.  They came and sat in my hand and gobbled up the poor little shellfish creatures, tickling my palm with their cute long whiskers.  (No photos exist; take my word for it!)

Next stop – a wreck dive off Tangat Island.  Also glorious with swooping cliffs.  No underwater photos…this is what the water looked like!


(photo unwilling to upload...)


The wreck is known, romantically, as East Tangat Gunboat.  I followed Josh like a faithful puppy, and trusted him enough to let him lead me into dark chambers and passages.  I felt VERY Wilbur Smith.  (I was supposed to be buddied with Pete but he had lovely, strong, dependable Toby at his side so I left them to it.)

Next dive (after a sustaining lunch of boiled rice and veggies for me, boiled rice and veggies and stewed chicken wings – The Men) was the Olympia Maru, as follows:





In case anyone wants the details.  Once again I followed Josh, this time through much narrower passageways, up and down, dodging metal and barnacles.  Fantastic!

By the way, when we came to the surface each time there was rain and thunder – who knew??  UnderwaterWorld is quite different!

And now…Pete is cooking Spaghetti Bolognese (I did help by chopping the onions and garlic and now my work is done!) and I am doing this blogbit and soon…I am going to lie on the couch and wait for food to appear at my side… Yes pathetic I know but…I AM now 65 and three dives is a lot for a 65 year old princess… (THANK you Pete for a wonderful birthday present.)

No comments:

Post a Comment