Monday 22 July 2013

23rd July - rudders - cocktails


Tuesday 23rd July

Today promises less work and more play for Pete and me.



We have had a few successes already.

For a start, the sensitive little freezer has worked and my lovingly cooked meals are all frozen for the trip.

And – even better – two young engineers turned up (nearly on time…nobody in Darwin is ever actually punctual.  Even the buses, strangely, don’t come when they are supposed to – they are often five minutes EARLY, which is a bit disconcerting, and sometimes wildly inconvenient.)  They have taken away the rudder bits and PROMISE to have them back, in place, later today.



We won’t be here; we have a briefing meeting )(compulsory) for all skippers and crew in the rally.  After that we are having cocktails at the Novotel.  Our canny friend Sue has sussed out a potential for Happy Hour.  I have, in my pack – a cocktail frock!  Tania and Sue will be amazed, and very pleased. 

We don’t quite have Fannie Bay sunsets here…but I was quite impressed with Sunset Over Our Concrete Wall last night…



The new fittings for the rudders are ready to go in.  Here they are, with one of my fitflops on top to show the actual size… They cost nearly (gasp!!) $600 because they are made from some sort of supersonic newly invented fabulous material called, I think D-Glide…



And another BIG success - after much struggle we (I mean Pete...) have managed to get my computer to recognise the onsatmail download.   This means I don't have to use Pete's computer to connect via satellite; we will both be much happier.

4 comments:

  1. Love the name D-Glide, sounds like a rapper/crooner combo. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Marguerite, have I missed a blog? Have you explained what the Indonesian Rally is all about - where you will be going and when will you return? Apologies if I have missed it - please just point me to the blog date. Meanwhile - sounds like you are in for a fun frocked up night! Cheers, AM xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pleased to have made contact again. Love the spirit of your writing. Lots to do to get ready for the trip so I hope we will be ready in time. At this stage, don't need to repair anything much but still have to get across Arnhem Land intact. Plan to do that straight through from Wessels as we need to arrive Darwin July 31st. Is onsatmail through your Satphone??
    Look forward to reading your adventures & eventually catching up somewhere. E & N

    ReplyDelete
  4. When are you leaving Australian waters? After 31st, obviously...
    Onsatmail is through an ethernet connection - Thrane and Thrane.

    ReplyDelete