Friday 19 July 2013

20th July - a bit of leisure - kingfisher - farewell BBQ


Saturday 20th July

Today is a bit more leisurely.  Pete has done all he can manage on his own and none of the workers he is expecting will come near Spot On Marine again until Monday.  I’m not sure why he wants them to come at all… The engineers charge $110 per hour…(each!)  And as far as I can tell, they have arrived several times with increasingly large and fearsome tools, with which they have banged and crashed at the offending boat parts.  Then they have packed up and gone back to wherever they came from, leaving Pete to do the very difficult tasks all on his own…

We slept in till way past eight o’clock, which was very nice indeed, and then ate eggs and bacon with beautiful sourdough - yes Pete is persevering; and I think #12 is the best one so far.

And then we had a most beautiful visitor – a dear little azure kingfisher, which sat calmly on the railings not far from 2XS. 



In the meantime a squadron of big brown hawks wheeled about our little corner of the river, mightily attracted to the bacon scraps I had thrown into the water.  And right across from the boat – our jabiru!



All of this – sleep, food, birds – has cheered me up no end.  I am not very happy right now because the midgie bites are driving me insane.  Every time I started to fall asleep last night, I would wake up feeling as if acid was being trickled onto my skin – this is SO unpleasant!  Those midgies are just ghastly, and they are a totally unseen enemy – we have never seen them, they are tiny!  (They are also known as noseeums, with good reason.)

We have been staying up quite late watching the Tour de France.  Beautiful scenery, as always, and lots of slightly baffling competitions along the way.  Sprints, King of the Mountain etc.  Which leads me to…

Today’s birthday greetings go to my brother Chris.  Still as fit, strong, competitive and generally wonderful as always.

Here he is, outside Castle Zayee in Hobart, with his darling family – Karen, Kate, Max - and Pete, on the left. 



I was eleven when Chris was born and I don’t think I have ever seen him angry, or even mildly perturbed.  He has always had a very nice nature, which is a good thing considering what a formidably competitive and successful sportsman he is.  A great combination of virtues!

Last year Chris celebrated his 50th birthday by doing some of the more difficult mountain stages of the tour immediately after the Tour proper had passed by with a group of equally fit friends.  It was VERY grueling but he was up there with the younger keener fitter riders.  Of course!

Pete has gone shopping, to light industrial zones, with kind Jason, our Tasmanian friend.  I am staying on the boat where there is a bit of a cool breeze blowing through…I am coated with layers of aerogard interspersed with anti-itch stuff and I smell very… chemical…

Tonight is the Sail Indonesia farewell BBQ at the sailing club. We are all expected to be there, wearing name tags.  I will feel almost as if I am back in the office.

And just in case you didn't appreciate the full glory of our kingfisher...here is a close-up!





1 comment:

  1. Felix certainly appreciated the close up of the kingfisher although he said 'it looks like something we need to fix'...I didn't tell him you probably didn't need to add it to your list x

    ReplyDelete