Tuesday 16 July 2013

17th July - Spot On Marine - nature - bites - battens etc


Wednesday 17th July

No Angus is not psychic… When I wrote that he had seen a sea eagle whizzing past behind my head, he could actually see it, thanks to the wonders of videophone via Tango.  The Wakefields were all rugged up, sitting around their firepot, breathing the crisp winter air of Cremorne.  I was sitting on the slopey deck not rugged up at all and probably looking very hot and bothered.  Changes in latitude, changes in attitude.

And here it is.



Only not so close.

It is still very pretty here, in the mouth of the Ludmilla River.  We have so many birds, especially at dusk, and today we have had visits from several curious little colonies of fish – catfish, garfish, and some tiny ones I can’t identify at all, all happily swimming around in the beautiful blue water under the boat.  Except when the tide is out…and then there is no water under us, only concrete.  And mud.

The downside of all of this nature close around us is…we are basically living in a creek.  And the creek is full of tiny insects which delight in biting us, without us ever having the pleasure of privilege of seeing them.  Pete is braver than I am about this; he is accustomed to being bitten and itchy.  I am shocked and aggrieved, and have been complaining most bitterly.

Pete is spending the day with various mechanics and engineers, going in and out of the engine bay, trying to fix a leak in the water pump, and also trying to fix those pesky rudders.  I am not much help with any of this.  Occasionally I pass big glasses of juice and ice down the hatches, but really all I can do is make sympathetic sounds and keep out of the way.

So my day has been mostly domestic.  One of the joys of Spot On Marine is – a washing machine!  Coin operated, only $3 a pop.  I have washed everything I can lay my hands on and now all of the beds are clean and shiny, so are our clothes and towels.  I have been washing very regularly, pounding away in my big blue bucket, but a washing machine is a far superior instrument.  And the bright HOT Darwin sun has dried everything, within less than an hour. 

We have electricity as well, and I have dragged out the wet-dry vacuum cleaner so now the floors are grit free, at least briefly.

Pete got new battens for the mainsail.  They flew here all by themselves, from Tasmania.  We have replaced the first five but it is too windy to have the big sail right up the mast…too precarious, as we sit up on our perch!  It was nice, right up on top of the boat, on a level with No. #1 sea eagle, which swooped right up next to us, scanning the river for those tasty catfish and garfish.

Tonight we are escaping from SlopeWorld.  Kind Andrew and Sue have invited us for dinner and a sleepover on Settlement, still in Fannie Bay.  We can watch the State of Origin rugby match – well Pete and Andrew can watch the State of Origin … it is quite possible that Sue and I will chat…

No comments:

Post a Comment