Friday 3 June 2011

Bermagui – Ulladulla – rain

Today the sea wasn’t pink and smooth, gleaming like satin in the sparkling sunlight. Today there was a big swell topped with choppy little waves. And no sunshine at all. It was cold. Not cold enough to drive us inside, huddling by the heater, but enough to have us wearing beanies, gloves, thermals, Stormy Seas jackets, the whole kit and caboodle.

No whales, no dolphins, just one lone albatross, some very cute terns, and some very beautiful gannets.

Last night I asked Pete if he would like me to play him some Stephen Fry Chronicles on the ipod, on loudspeaker. Why yes, he thought that was a lovely idea. He lay back on the couch and within not too many minutes of Stephen Fry’s decidedly dulcet tones – well yes OF COURSE, snore, snore…

Once again a beautiful coastline – a few dear little towns on the edge of the water, or on clifftops, and, mostly, endless miles of thick bush and blue hills stretching out in the distance. It must be completely different, driving on roads, and going inland. We are getting a very different and very wonderful, perspective, from the sea.

I am having an interesting time on this trip in that…I am absolutely living in the moment. Most unusual; I am usually either worrying about the future or fretting about the past. None of that on the boat…I just look out at the sea, the scenery, the birds etc etc, listen to music or Stephen Fry, and…no fretting forwards or backwards! I can’t even bring myself to worry more than a tiny bit about my poor neglected unrented house…apparently there are no people in Hobart needing properties to rent, just at the moment… Pete’s beautifully renovated apartment in South Hobart is also unrented. We both have agents looking on our behalf, and Pete also has James, who is highly efficient, on his case. Nada… I suppose if my house isn’t rented by the time my pay stops coming in (mid-July) I will have to rev myself back into a state of anxiety… And…a fat lot of use that will be!

We came into Ulladulla at 3.30. No I can’t give any sort of description at all of this little fishing port; it is raining quite heavily and we are tied up to a big wharf. Access on and off the boat is even more daunting than usual (a big, high, rocking gap.) I can’t find my umbrella, it is too wet to ride my beloved bike, so I am sitting very happily inside, with a very nice cup of tea and some Flinders Island meat defrosting in the sink.

Coming into the wharf area, once again between rocky shore and rock wall, was - ahem - slightly hair-raising. But at least this time the (BIG) waves were behind us so we could sort of surf in, unlike Bermagui where the waves were coming across the entrance.

No comments:

Post a Comment