Sunday 13 August 2017

13th August 2017 - Ravello, Italy

Sunday 13th August 23 2017

Ravello, Italy
40 degrees.34.389N
14 degrees 33.326E


Our last night in gorgeous Ravello…sad to say we're on our way, won’t be back for many a day…


Part of the attraction of Ravello is that we are really living la dolce vita… No rushing about like mad dogs and Englishmen!


Pete has been reading his book very happily on Kindle, on his bed, while I have been pootling gently up and down the hills on foot, listening to podcasts.  This makes me very happy.


I have been admiring this and that.



I love the little bottle shops; everything is so elegant here.  But am still not sure why Wine AND drugs??



There are many hotels more glamorous than this one.



But Hotel Parsifal would still be my first choice, if I were ever lucky enough to come back to the Amalfi coast.


It doesn't look quite as pretty from below as from above...but it was, after all, a sturdy convent!
I love seeing the stylish little Vespas, nestled into tiny parking places against the ancient stone walls.



The streets here are mostly very narrow.  No room for cars at all.  But room for small motorised buggies, which scoot efficiently up and down the hills.



I sat by myself in the lovely airy Piazza Duomo and had a coffee.  I took some photos which weren’t very good, and then looked on Google – nobody has managed to capture the ambiance at all!  My photos – deleted! – were better!



But I sat and sipped  my black coffee, ate a small meringue, and listened to the church bells tolling right over my head.


Campanile
Bliss!



Last night we joined the masses in the Calici di Stella, a movable feast.  We were very underdressed…most of the women teetered on high heels – how, on the cobbles??  I do not know??  But we were happy and enjoyed the company and the tastes of food and wine.


Outside the Hotel Parsifal there is a small piazza, with a water feature featuring (can’t think of another word…) the most charming lions.  What is it with lions, says Pete?  In Italy?


So I said What is it with lions…in Tasmania!!

????




1 comment:

  1. Hahahaha! so true, great comeback. Ravello looks like a place I need to visit.

    ReplyDelete