Sunday 1 April 2012

A message from PNG…

You may remember our time in the Louisiades, our friendship with Moses, Gulo, Sanity, Lilah… I’m not sure if I wrote that we had lent Moses some money ($222 each) and that I had been sending parcels of clothes for Moses to sell.  He wanted to open a little shop on Bagaman Island, and needed some starting capital.  We were a bit sad that we hadn’t heard anything at all…communication is so difficult from such a far-flung isolated community…

Hi there, this is an email from Mr. Moses - Bagaman Isl. in the Lousiades.

We had the pleasure to visit their place during the few days of bad weather.

We found a very nice and warm people, a very good last memory of our last stop in PNG.

Here is the text I got from them:

Hi Peter and Marguerite,

Friends, I want to let you know that the Bank workers dont want to send Kina out from the Bank so I have an idea to change Kina in to Australian Dollars with the rally yachts.

Then I will deposit two hundred dollars in to my account to transfer in to your account.

Anyway thank you for the two parcels bag of clothes, the people like them they bought them all but they want the clothes for man and women if you can send them some more.

P.S. Lilah would like Marguerite to buy her a leg machine (sawing machine?) with material and few machine cotton if possible.

And…I will send some adult clothing but…not a treadle sewing machine… It costs  fortune just to send a few t-shirts…

1 comment: