Monday 16 January 2012

Tuesday 17th January
It was 29 in Hobart yesterday…
We spoke to Pete’s sister Lynne, who was frolicking on the beach with her daughter and grandchildren at 5pm, in warm water and brilliant sunshine.  Here, off South Stradbroke Island, it was trying very hard to get up to 20 – overcast, drizzly.  The next time someone shudders and says they couldn’t live in Tasmania because of the foul climate I will…no I won’t slap them merrily about the head but I will want to…
Do we mind the inclement weather??  Not at all!  I have been swimming every day, just a few laps round and round the boat.  We have been for a walk, across the island to the big long wild surf beach, and along to a few campsites.  And the rest of the time we have been gently bobbing about on the sea, reading books and listening to all of the new music I downloaded while we were in Hobart.  It is very restful and pleasant.
We are anchored in Tipplers Passage, and we can’t really leave, even if we want to, because the weather Out There on the sea is – frightful!  Winds of around 60 knots do not entice us to heaving-ho!  I feel so sorry for the people who live in the area, where the floods and rains were so devastating last year.  They must be looking up at the grey skies with dread in their hearts.
This isn’t a good place for snorkeling – the water is pretty, warm and green, but with no visibility, and I think even if we could see, we would only see a few startled flathead and bream, and a few fishing lines from the smattering of determined anglers on the shore.  When I go for my daily swim, I am watched by a small flotilla of little brown ducks, and a lone pelican, who keep a steady eye on me, as I do on them.  They are not a disappointment to me, but I fear I am to them…I do not swim with a trail of yummy breadcrumbs or fish skeletons in my wake.

1 comment:

  1. But you do swim with amusing hair, this could explain their interest. Although with your short hair cut the wet-up-to-the-ears-dry-and-bouffant-above look is probably less remarkable.

    ReplyDelete