Monday 23 January 2012

Monday 23rd January
Not as much WonderfulWildlife (or GolfClubLife…) as yesterday.
We started the day with a trip to the post office, to send photos – at last – to the people on Ramata Island (Solomons), and to send the book about the Sydney Hobart Yacht Race disaster back to Don and Marilyn in New Zealand.  By the way, Claire (WonderDaughter of the Day) taped THE episode of the Bachelor which featured Cool Change, and we watched it when we were in Hobart.  Glimpses of Don and Marilyn, in the freezing wind… No footage, unfortunately, of Don rushing to rescue the bikini-clad constant from near loss of bikini top in aforementioned freezing wind.
I mentioned, casually, to Pete that I was thinking of buying new bathers– my lovely flowery blue top, bought in Sydney half a decade ago, is disintegrating.  Well he had to come and help, didn’t he???  I tried to tell him that trying on bathers is in the top #5 of stressful situations for women but he paid no heed and settled himself happily in the bathers shop.  He rejected my pink check Jets selection with a swift glance, but did let me try them on, with some others, carefully chosen.  I won’t make too much of the experience.  It was all quite pleasant, really.  I have read side-splitting accounts by talented and witty women from around the globe who have had much worse moments in changing rooms.  I am a standard size, and when I tried on a black and white ruched stripey number with a jaunty bow, slightly retro (50s) in style, I was mightily relieved when Pete gave it the thumbs up.  He was right…I tried on the cherished pink check Jets ones and… they showed a (large is the wrong word…) portion of UNDERSIDE of boob – NOT a good look.  Well…I didn’t think it was… So, out with the credit card!  Pete had thought he was going to buy this item for me but he blanched at the price tag while the (not-so-young) saleswoman hissed at me, “Men!” as she swiped my card.  He did make a nice contribution but…it is hard to persuade a person who is careful with his $$$ that $149 is a reasonable amount to pay for what is basically a reinforced stripy ruched singlet… (In case you want one…it is lovely and comfy and serves very well as a quite stylish top with a black skirt – SeaFolly, if you want to get one… from Calypso in Sanctuary Cove…I have been wearing mine happily all day.)
We wandered around happily and spent some very happy time in an art gallery – DeLozzo, I think.  We loved the mother-father-daughter art work and I lashed out and bought…three postcards, for my darling daughters…We finished our time of benefiting the economy of Sanctuary  Cove with a cup of coffee at the Yacht club.  (Alert!  Mistake!  Do NOT buy coffee at a yacht club; buy coffee at a CAFÉ!!)
Kind Tim and Sally had once again left their ute (The Uterus) for us to beetle around the Gold Coast.  Off to various shops…lalalala…Muirs Engineering, Mitre 10 for gas, around the now-familiar traps.  I wanted to replace my lovely inflatable Black Wolf waterproof pillow (no longer inflatable…too many people have sat on it; I should have kept it for MY VERY OWN.  I am no longer into sharing and caring!!!)  We found the very Anaconda shop where I had bought it last year and…guess what – they no longer make this particular item.  In fact, our wide-eyed shop assistant assured us they had NEVER made one in this size.  Only ever TINY ones.  Eventually we found another shop assistant who said, “Oh yes, we did have them.  Yes, in that exact bin where you are gazing so longingly.  But…they were too popular so we no longer stock them.”  Or words to that effect… We gave up and descended upon Cam and Del for a soothing glass of wine or two.
We are now back on the boat…Pete is trying to fix the TV, with the new aerial he bought in JB along the way, so we can watch Lleyton Hewitt play against…well play against the man who is probably THE WINNER.
Are we leaving tomorrow?? 
Who knows…Pete is going to put in a new steering cable thingy.  Cam will arrive at the crack for dawn to help.  And the weather may be kind.  Or not!
I have rung John Miedecke’s (godfather? Uncle) Darv Wilkins, who lives in Tweed Heads, and who lived for many years in New Hebrides (now Vanuatu) and was part of the administration – maybe he was the administrator?? Anyway he was part of the Condominium aka the Pandemonium… We are hoping to meet up as we head south… this WILL happen!!  I am getting very fond of the Gold Coast, mind you... This evening we drove back up the avenue to Sanctuary Cove and…some of the flower sculptures were lit up red and green.  SO pretty!
NEWSFLASH: Pete has fixed the aerial!!  He is very happy… And he is a winner!!!  Tennis is GO GO GO!!!  Lleyton???  We don't think so but....

1 comment:

  1. I have a seafolly bathers top which I bought on sale last year and it is the loveliest one I have ever owned! $149 is possibly a bit much but you will wear it a lot and look great. xoxo

    ReplyDelete