Wednesday 26 December 2012

Thursday 27th December


Thursday 27th December

Post-Boxing Day celebrations – this time with my northern family, arriving very soon from Launceston.  More fun, more food… Yesterday ditto – fun, food, family (Pete’s offspring and cohorts.)

On Christmas Day #1, a celebration #2, Leo received a large Lego set – a Star Wars extravaganza which would make any young StarWars/Lego fan’s heart sing.  At the end of the day, Katy put out an all-stations alert – the two large glossy (A4) instruction manuals had disappeared!  We all scampered about, looking looking looking.  One of us even tipped out a rubbish bag or two, to scan forlornly through the wrappings and slightly smelly crapola.  (Yes of course that was me…)  Michael didn’t get sucked in to the general panic.  He looked at Katy cynically, and said, “Now where would KATY have put Leo’s instruction manuals?”  She was very indignant.  “Me???  What did I have to do with this??”  Then a look of understanding crossed her face and she walked swiftly towards the bookshelf, where she had, indeed, neatly stacked the lost manuals…

India #53

There are over 100 ghats along the banks of the Ganges in Varanasi, all used for bathing, cleansing, swimming, worshiping.  Some are used for burning corpses.  The Dasaswamedh is, they told me in Lonely Planet, the main one.  We wandered down the steep stairs to the river, very impressed with the atmosphere and the Ganges, smelly and brown though it is.  A dear little girl came up and persuaded me to buy a flower, for 10 rupees (locals probably pay 1 rupee but I was happy with my deal, and she was a dear little thing.)  She told me to put it out gently on the water and make a wish, which I did, very happily and lovingly.  Then her father came up and performed a small religious ceremony for me, all for my “deceased” family.  I tried to say none of my immediate family was deceased, except for my father-in-law, but this greedy bugger was on a roll; anyone as old as me, apparently, should have many deceased family members.  The ceremony was all quite swift and not unpleasant, but oh what a shock – he then demanded TWO HUNDRED rupees from me!  I was not impressed; I hadn’t asked for any of this, only for the flower, which was a transaction I had with his little girl, not with him.  I gave him one rupee and said, “I thought this was about the spirit not the money!”  His little girl looked very embarrassed so I slipped her another 10 when he wasn’t looking…. Actually Varanasi, the Sacred City, was very much about money, more so than any other place we went…


No comments:

Post a Comment