Saturday 8 December 2012

Sunday 9th December


Sunday 9th December

A very exciting moment for me…

My very first word document on my new pride and joy.    I have activated my magic mouse, opened and enlarged a new page and off I go, just a bit unsteadily but…bear with me!

It has been a bit of a team effort getting to this point, with just a teensy bit of stress and anxiety.  I absolutely love new technology and am fiercely fond of whichever phone or computer I have as part of my equipment at any given time.  But getting to know each new technological marvel always causes me to internalise quite a lot of quiet rage.  And no, my darling pride and joy, it’s not you, it’s me…

Or maybe not entirely all my fault.  I finally acquired this beautiful little MacBook Air nearly two weeks ago.  Dear kind and patient James had assured me that my internet connection thingy would connect my new system to the internet.  Unfortunately, it did not… Last weekend Pete and I lurked around the computer department in JB for quite a long time while various young men (James wasn’t working that day) whistled through their teeth and jiggled this and that until finally they said that my internet connection thingy was far too old.  In fact they were quite surprised it still existed in 2012.  (I bought it in 2010…)  Go to the Telstra Shop, they said, rather too blithely.

On Monday Allan, our registrar, very kindly encouraged me to go early.  We all know how the queues grow, in the Telstra Shop.  Full of people who are, mostly, internalising (or maybe NOT internalising) quite a lot of quiet rage.   I got there at 9.30 and got back to work two and a half hours later.  (In case you are an Angry Taxpayer, please let me assure you, gently, that I do actually make up these lost hours, one way or the other.)   It just took such a l-o-n-g time. 

I am aware that many people hate and loathe Telstra.  I am not among them, in fact I am a loyal Telstra customer and very appreciative of good service over many years.  (I hear howls of protest rushing through cyberspace…)  It took this long because that is in fact how long it took, to connect a new internet connection thingy.  I had a lovely young woman (Georgia) and an equally lovely young trainee (Bec), who was very kind and admiring because I am a Harmsen and the only other Harmsen she knows is – it took me no time at all to guess this – is my wonderfully handsome, charming and athletic 17 year old nephew Will.  For some of the time I also had the services of a technician, and towards the end of the marathon experience the store manager came and tried to take credit for the successful installation and registration of my new modem.  (The first one they installed was faulty; it took forever to de-install it and to start all over again.)  I tried not to look at the long long queue snaking out the door… I could feel angry eyes boring into the back of my head as I sat happily enough with my new friends Bec and Georgia, calmly helping me with my difficulties.

We had time to chat about families, sharks, the general public.  I asked whether they found it difficult working in the Telstra Shop, where (I am not joking) people really do get irate.  Bec said she worked at the Ball & Chain, where people get furious about their food, and Georgia told me that her friend works in Just Jeans and that recently a customer wrote to the manager complaining that the mirrors in the change rooms are not flattering enough. So there is rage everywhere!

And now I am sitting in the sun at Pete’s big dining table very happily playing with my new toys.  I am still having some difficulty with this and that…my iPad doesn’t seem to recognize my new modem but…never mind; I am sure I will find helpful kindly people to talk me through yet another technological experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment