Thursday 13 June 2013

14th June - Arafura Sea - crossing the Gulf - Nhulunbuy


Friday 14th June

Latitude – 12 degrees S
Longitude – 136 degrees

This photo is all I have for you thus far.



The sparkling blue Arafura Sea.

This indicates that we have crossed the Gulf and are safe and well in a sheltering bay, surrounded by lots of other boats, none of which had their riding lights on when we came in last night… They are very lucky that we didn’t crash into them –we had our owl-eyes open very wide in the dark dark night.

Did I find the opportunity to write a witty, pithy report, as we crossed the Gulf?  Well no… As soon as the sun set, so did I.  Literally.  I spent the first night feeling general malaise, ditto the following day I was able to drag myself through my allotted tasks, but by the second night it was all just GHASTLY.   I won’t go into any details, too boring, too, as I said ghastly.

I am deeply disappointed; have done so well so far, have even been able to read while under way!  Why oh why does this happen, on overnight passages?  We couldn’t have had better conditions.  We had a light zephyr of a breeze, just enough to help us, with the headsail.  And the sea was never bigger than 1.5 metres.  The stars shone brightly, there was a prettier than pretty sickle moon.  And…all I could do was endure.

Poor Pete.  He was very kind but there wasn’t anything he could do.  I managed to do most of my 3-hour shifts at the helm, with the occasional hour when he just had to take over while I lay, inert, on the couch.  I did try to pull my (rapidly decreasing) weight but by midnight last night, was beyond anything useful.  I did get up and use my owl eyes as we approved the Gove Peninsula, but that is about it.

We got to bed just after 4am and rarely has bed been so welcome.

This is what we are doing, at 11am:

Happy Pete with a Man’s Breakfast:



Me, with weak black tea…am a bit surprised that I am managing to smile, even this much.



No comments:

Post a Comment