Thursday 1 December 2016

2nd December 2016 - Hobart - Louisiades days

Friday 2nd December 2016

The beginning of summer in Hobart and yes, it is sunny!  And busy!  I am trying to go for a long walk every day but…this does not always happen.  When it does I see echidnas!


And beautiful flowers.  Life is good. 



Meanwhile in Queensland on 2XS, Pete and Michael are trying to get everything fixed and ready to go go GO, down the coast to Urangan.  It is very hot and I somehow don’t think the engine is fixed just yet…

Candid PNG comments

Not this girl...
Way out in the Louisiades, I had a visit from a nice young woman in a tiny canoe.  She had a pumpkin to trade, and a very small bunch of spring onions.  She said the latter were grown by a very old lady in her village.  The old lady would like some clothes in exchange.  I asked what size this lady might be, and my new friend – NOT a tiny wisp of a thing – said, looking me up and down in a considering manner, “She is not tall and fat like you.  She is a very small old lady.”

Hmmm…

I don’t actually have a photo of this girl, but she was about the age and size of one of our friends in the Ninigo Islands…


I also found a photo I don’t think I have included in this blog, of a raft of canoes visiting 2XS. 




This wasn’t all of them!!  They were all around the boat.  Pete took some videofilm, which I have just watched, with some astonishment.  I am sitting on the back steps, with some lift-the-flap books, and…the crowd is fascinated!  Where is Joey the baby Kangaroo??  SO exciting!!!  This is only a month or so ago but it seems like a completely different world.  Well it was a completely different world!  I can’t imagine being able to captivate a whole flotilla of teenage Tasmanian boys with stories about baby turtles and Joey the Baby Kangaroo!


No comments:

Post a Comment