Saturday 27 April 2013

27th April - Dunk Island


Saturday 27th April

A beautiful day in the tropics…

We took a cheery gang out on the boat, to Dunk Island.  Not sure how cheery and lovely they all look in this photo but I can assure you they were a delight, one and all.  (Phil, Jordan, Chris, Faye, Stewart, Maddie, Pete.)



I have always wanted to go to Dunk Island.  I think they always had a beautiful, emblematic picture of a Ulysses butterfly as their logo.  Sadly this is not, obviously, a real photo from my very own camera… Try as I might to attract one of these fabulous iridescent creatures, with my new gaudily coloured sarong, so far I have had no success at all.  I don’t think, thus far, I have been a very successful Attenborough-style photographer…



And how pretty is Dunk Island?  Well, very, of course!  But this resort, which looks so jaunty and welcoming, is in fact completely trashed, by cyclone Yasi, and it is derelict, abandoned, sad.



We didn’t go ashore, but I did have a beautiful swim, with Phil and his 15 year old son, Morgan.  Both of these blokes were great company.  We swam round and round the boat, looking for the big fish which had come out to welcome us, but which mysteriously disappeared, although we tempted them with chicken bones and all manner of treats.  Pete Salmon also came in for a quick dip, but everyone else sat happily on the boat.  Phil and I bobbed around in the water for ages, chatting.  There is something very therapeutic and soothing about a conversation where you are almost totally immersed in warm tropical water… When we came out the others all looked as if they were about to go to Sleepyboboland… They were reading, eating Ferrero Rochers and generally looking hot but content. 

1 comment:

  1. I have read the last week of posts out of order and read this one straight after the one about you NOT madly hurling yourself into the croc infested sea. A bit of a shock to hear that you are swimming around and around the boat with "chicken bones and all manner of treats". Yikes! xoxo

    ReplyDelete