Sunday 3 February 2013

Monbday 4th February


Monday 4th February

 

First of all – accolades to Emma Riley, who was inducted into the navy this morning at 9.20 am, after several very stressful years of striving to attain this goal.  Emma has been Pete’s tenant in Unit #1 since she was 18; she is now 25.  Pete and I feel SO relived – our fledgling has flown the nest!  It was, one way or the other, a near miss so I shed tears of joy/relief at her ceremony at the barracks…  And we wish her a very happy and fulfilling life in the navy….

 

I have been so busy I haven’t even looked at my blog.  My beautiful computer didn’t even its pretty little lid lifted over the weekend. 

 

On Saturday I had an Emma-filled morning, plus some speedy cleaning and tidying of 2XS.  Pete has installed some new drawers where once were just wide, useless shelves.  All of his tools and small annoying thingies like nuts, bolts, thises and thats, are now tidied away.  These drawers are wonderful but…when a boat is at sea drawers fling open, and these would have been particularly lethal, full, as they are, or shrapnel.  So he devised a long metal bolt to go down through them, firmly securing the whole kit and caboodle.  This was, of course NOT as easy as it sounds.  And the whole process caused a lot of chaos and sawdust.

 

We left the clean-up and changed into more presentable attire, then went to a lovely garden party for my friend Annie’s 60th celebration.  Much fun, old friends, delicious food…

 

Sunday we took 2XS out, back to Maryanne Bay, with a boatload of Apostles – one of Pete’s lunch groups from the Tasmanian Club.  Once again – everyone happy, nobody overboard, drawers stayed in place – and one groups Attenborough moment with a large, basking seal which caused everyone to say oooh and aaahh…

         
More India 2006

 
Our next stop was at a central vegetable market.  Shambu knew everyone there; I think the stallholders were all friends of his mum.  We wandered around, looking at all of the fruit and veg arranged in big flat baskets while the stallholders sat on the hard concrete patiently waiting to sell.  One of the women called me over; she wanted me to taste a strange fruit? vegetable? which looked a bit like a small green tomato.  Well it was just AWFUL.  I smiled winningly, turned away and spat it into my hand.  Around the edge of the market there were lots of animals waiting for scraps, so I chose a handsome goat and offered my half-chewed yuckything.  Well no THANK you, said the goat with a shudder.  Same with a young calf which seemed quite keen until it got a whiff.  Pete and Shambu had got ahead of me a bit so I was a ripe target for the next people who wanted to call me over to their display.  A group of handsome young men wanted me to admire their aubergines, which they had arranged in an interesting formation.  I showed them the whites of my eyes and walked past without acknowledging their efforts, thank you very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment