Tuesday 15 January 2013

Wednesday 16th January


Wednesday 16th January

Today has been even more NatureWorld than yesterday.  We were idly pootling about in the shack when Katy shouted, DOLPHINS, and there indeed were five big black dolphins powering into Waub’s Bay from Diamond Island.  They came right into the shallows and frolicked about, delighting and surprising people on the jetty and in the water.

Leo (6) and Angus (10) managed to lug the kayak out of the sand dunes and into the water so Nicky could take them out on a dolphin chase.  Normally they can’t budge the kayak a single inch…amazing what a bit of  motivation can do.

Last night when we were eating our calamari feast Meriloy told us about the different sorts of albatross which live around Bicheno.  An old codger who had retired to the coast had a slightly nervous friendship with one of these big seabirds.  It would come and sit on his tinny and wait his feed of flathead.  Bert would always save him one, which he would hand over into the sharp, expectant beak at the end of each fishing expedition.  When Bert died he left his tinny to his grandson, and whenever this grandson takes the tinny out…along comes the very same albatross.

I suppose I have to report on our Sequence tournaments.  For the record, I am extremely good at this game but…my skill has yet to be demonstrated by any sort of winning score.  Leo is just learning and he is already proving to be a BIG winner.  By the time he turns seven, in February, he will probably be unbeatable… Maybe I can bribe him to let me win just one game??

1 comment:

  1. Dolphins! I would move a kayak for that ... and as for youngsters winning games, Fred won a game of eightball against me yesterday (and yes I was trying my hardest! :( )

    ReplyDelete